Madden 09's Touchdown Tuesdays
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Madden 09's Touchdown Tuesdays

A forum for members of the league Touchdown Tuesdays.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NBA Games: Live vs. 2k

Go down 
+2
PaperLantern
PaulZweber
6 posters
AuthorMessage
PaulZweber

PaulZweber

NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Empty
PostSubject: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 2:16 pm

Well guys, I am unsure of which game I will be picking up tomorrow. I was a Live guy in the 90s, 2k guy this decade, and this year seems to be the hardest choice in a while. What are your opinions? 365 on Live looks cool, although if you buy the game used you have to pay for the 365. I read somewhere that is was $20, which makes it totally unpractical(is that a word) to buy the game used if you play online at all. I am pretty excited for 5 on 5, anyone else here? Anyone plan on getting a NBA game this year, and which one? Any interest in a Live or 2k League?

Here is a video trailer for the "Living Rosters" for 2k9, sounds a lot like 365. http://www.operationsports.com/videoview_game.php?id=481

Last edited by PaulZweber on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PaperLantern

PaperLantern

PostSubject: Re: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 5:18 pm

Go with 2k9. They've got 5 on 5 this year as well, and the fact that Live 09 is charging $20 extra for a feature that they're using to sell the damn game is ridiculous.

2k basketball is better overall, no doubt about it. Plus, right when the NBA season ends, so does your Live 365.
Back to top Go down
PaulZweber

PaulZweber

PostSubject: Re: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 5:53 pm

Do you have to pay the $20 reguardless of purchasing new/used? I was under the impression that the $20 charge was only for those people who bought the game used, therefor the CD-Key had been used up already. If that is not the case, and you have to pay $20 on top of the $60 to buy the game, then that is rediculous. I am leaning on 2k anyways, they have the 5-on-5 like you said and have had a much better game the past few years. Also, to battle 365, 2k has stated that they will be updating rosters daily as well.
Back to top Go down
xKillmatic

xKillmatic

PostSubject: Re: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 6:30 pm

Yeah, I would get 2K9 over Live. I like the gameplay of the 2K games, and that 5v5 sounds incredible. Plus it would be fun to get a game that people in this league will play, because I hope to get 2K9 as well, if I can afford it.
Back to top Go down
PaulZweber

PaulZweber

PostSubject: Re: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 7:28 pm

That is the main reason I posted this here, I was hoping to find out other good gamers to play against. 2k has had the better playing game, and with both of them having 5-on-5 I am pretty sure I am getting 2k9.
Back to top Go down
x Ricky87 x

x Ricky87 x

PostSubject: Re: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 11:27 pm

The proof is in the pudding. To me, the 365 Live thing is completely over-rated. If I wanted all my games to play out just like they did in real life I would be better off just watching the real thing to begin with. Also, I don't know if you've downloaded any of the NBA demos through XBOX Live, but NBA 2K9 blows NBA Live out of the water. I hate the movements on NBA Live, because the controls are so stiff when your trying to play 1 on 1 defense, as opposed to playing 2K9. Either you hold the left trigger and have the defender go on some automatic pull towards the ball, or you back off and leave him wide open. 2K9 is much better on defense, because you can really control how your player defends. You can hold the left trigger and face the ball, instead of auto-lock, and still use the block, steal, and rebound buttons seamlessly. The one thing I thought Live would have over 2K9 would be graphics, but 2K9 really improved this year and is a touch better than Live, in my opinion.
Another thing that just kills me about Live is player ratings. I could only check the Celtics and Lakers, because their the only two teams in the demo, but Rajon Rondo is only rated a measley 71. He's considered worse than probably 20 other Point Guards, yet he's easily a top 5 in my opinion, and is just a notch below Chris Paul. Ray Allen's also an 86, Kevin Garnett a 91, and Kendrick Perkins a 70, not to mention Glenn "Big Baby" Davis, Leon Powe, and Eddie House who are well below 70. I don't know what 2K9's ratings are, but they can't be any worse than that.
In closing, if you are considering an NBA game, I would go with NBA 2K9. It's so much better in my opinion, and I expect it to stay that way from here on out. NBA Live 07 was pretty good, and I never bought an 08 NBA game, but 2K9 has taken the next step and is now the top dog. If your still not sure, though, I would download the two demos. They don't give you much as far as content, but it will give you an idea of controls and gameplay. Hope it helps!.
Back to top Go down
TheTrueJ0KER

TheTrueJ0KER

PostSubject: Re: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 9:39 am

not to mention all the cheesers online, that will then only use the hottest teams in the game because they will be the easiest to play with. Just think when Kobe/Lebron/Wade get on hot streaks then your gonna play those teams 100xs that week and it'll be slam dunk after slam dunk. The fact remains that Live has always been an arcade style game with NO defense 1 on 1 compared to NBA2k which has pretty good 1 on 1 defense. Saying that I wasnt a huge fan of 2k last year though something was off about it my favorite was the first one on the 360 I thought that one was amazing.
Back to top Go down
Tengo Juego

Tengo Juego

PostSubject: Re: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 1:11 pm

The 20 dollar charge is only if you buy the game used.

My opinion, go with 2K9. Their gameplay is just way better. And gameplay is everything if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
TheTrueJ0KER

TheTrueJ0KER

PostSubject: Re: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 3:53 pm

Game play is the only thing if you ask me, I'll take a shitty looking game with great game play then a great looking game with decent game play (example- My friends and I on saturday nights go to my house for a little predrinking before the bars and we play N64 No Mercy compared to the newer shitty versions of wrestling games on the next gen, how hard is it to get the great engine 64 had for all their wrestling games) But I believe that N64 is possibly the best system ever made also in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
PaulZweber

PaulZweber

PostSubject: Re: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 4:44 pm

I bought 2k, I had to. Gameplay is number one, the only thing I was interested in was the club play, and since no one on here is into it, there wouldn't be much point for me to get it. I can still play 5-on-5 and I have a better game imo. Thanks guys!

Joker, Sega Genesis is the best system ever. Either that or NES, but Sega was the first one I personally bought myself, I loved the shit out of that! Anyone play NFL 94 and NFL 95? I think they were better than Madden back in the day. Rodney Hampton was the shit in 94, and Mel Gray was WAY better than Barry Sanders(same team lol) on 95. I used to run laps around the field with Grey and have the whole defense follow me for a whole quarter! It was awesome! Wow, those names bring me back, Gray was even on the all-decade team i believe!
Back to top Go down
PaulZweber

PaulZweber

PostSubject: Re: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 7:44 pm

Well, NBA 2k9 is sick. That is all there is to it. If you liked last years game, this years plays similar, but it is a lot more polished. Loving it so far, going to try out some things after practice.
Back to top Go down
x Ricky87 x

x Ricky87 x

PostSubject: Re: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 7:51 pm

PaulZweber wrote:
Well, NBA 2k9 is sick. That is all there is to it. If you liked last years game, this years plays similar, but it is a lot more polished. Loving it so far, going to try out some things after practice.
Great to hear!. I assumed it would be awesome, but you can never really tell with just the demo. I hope to get it at some point so we can play, but continue to enjoy it. It should be fun!. By the way, what team, or teams, do you usually use?.
Back to top Go down
TheTrueJ0KER

TheTrueJ0KER

PostSubject: Re: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 8:40 pm

Reviews are up NBA2k9 got a 8.5 and NBA 09 Live got a 6.5 hahahahah

Heres what IGN says about NBA Lives gameplay

6.5 Gameplay
Low post play and pick and roll improvements are held back by poor lockdown D, messed up game tempo and a DNA system that just doesn't feel fully fleshed out or expanded enough to revolutionize play.
Back to top Go down
PaperLantern

PaperLantern

PostSubject: Re: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 10:05 pm

TheTrueJ0KER wrote:
Reviews are up NBA2k9 got a 8.5 and NBA 09 Live got a 6.5 hahahahah

Heres what IGN says about NBA Lives gameplay

6.5 Gameplay
Low post play and pick and roll improvements are held back by poor lockdown D, messed up game tempo and a DNA system that just doesn't feel fully fleshed out or expanded enough to revolutionize play.
That settles that. The main feature Live is using to sell the game isn't really that great, and the gameplay, as always, isn't up to par with 2k9.
Back to top Go down
TheTrueJ0KER

TheTrueJ0KER

PostSubject: Re: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Paul Z where you at?????? I'm gonna pick up 2k9 on my way home and I'm looking to wax your ass when I get home, you wanna play i should be home around 5:30 eastern time and ready to play some games online if oyu wanna play with me
Back to top Go down
PaulZweber

PaulZweber

PostSubject: Re: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 4:02 pm

I gotta go pay for my mens basketball league team after work, then I will be on after that. I plan on playing it most of the night, with a JokerEffect league game with Aftershock mixed in. I would love to play, maybe we can get some 5-on-5 going if it isnt laggy.
Back to top Go down
Tengo Juego

Tengo Juego

PostSubject: Re: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 9:48 pm

We gotta do some 5v5 team up. That mode is fun, I played a game as Yao(Rockets) and it was fun, but I hate Yao.

It randomly selects who you control which I didn't like, but I guess it prevents any fights over being Kobe.
Back to top Go down
x Ricky87 x

x Ricky87 x

PostSubject: Re: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 10:02 pm

Tengo Juego wrote:
We gotta do some 5v5 team up. That mode is fun, I played a game as Yao(Rockets) and it was fun, but I hate Yao.

It randomly selects who you control which I didn't like, but I guess it prevents any fights over being Kobe.
Touche, though if your the point guard you can trump Kobe entirely lol! Either way, though, it would be fun to be the same player all game. I personally think the Rockets are a perfect team, because everyone has a great role player. Another fun team would be the Hornets, because they are stacked at every position, and their post players are incredible. My personal favorite would be the Celtics, though, because their god's gift to the NBA. Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Rajon Rondo, and Kendrick Perkins...Now that's fun!.
Back to top Go down
Tengo Juego

Tengo Juego

PostSubject: Re: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 2:47 pm

Another team would be Toronto(Bosh, O'Neal, Calderon, Moon,?) and Atlanta(Bibby, Smith, Johnson, Williams, Horford)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NBA Games: Live vs. 2k   NBA Games:  Live vs. 2k Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NBA Games: Live vs. 2k
Page 1 of 1